Its finally quiet after a whirlwind October. Our youngest niece came over for two month and had to cut her visit short since Oma Jule went to be with the Lord. So now I have reclaimed the house, reshuffled the furniture, settled Lysa back to sleep and Anna is off to a friends birthday party. Pfuuuuuuu I need to rethink and take a moment to remember Oma Jule as Anna called her.
Oma Jule was the only child of Greatgrandma Anna, ( our Anna is named after her). Since Greatgrandma's marriage did not last our Oma Jule grew up with her grandparents on the Farm while her mom worked in the city. Those early years were fun for her, except when she had to go and collect the child-support in the city from her estranged Dad. Do not ask me what kind of wisdom was behind that decision, but Oma Jule recounted that story quite a few times to me and it was a traumatic one for her. She grew up to become a seamstress and than found love with Opa in Heaven some years later.
They had three children Hans-Ulrich, Christoph and Elke. Oma Jule was a complicated person at times. She was very talented in many ways. She would build beds, and do the handy work around the house since her sales man husband had no clue. :-) She would have many hobbies over the years which were at times a bit to important to her. There was the photography, the aquariums, the dogs (she was a breeder and went to many dog shows) and she loved to work with children as well. She did lead a backyard bible club for many years.
When I got to know her and lived in their house for the first 2 years of our marriage we had great times together but we also budded heads. No suprise there, right? She was a great cook and I learned some great recipes from her. Her cooking was always different and she did not shy away from any difficult recipe.
Here is my list of thanks for Oma Jule:
- I am thankful that she raised her children to follow Jesus and pointed them towards God.
- I am thankful for all her prayers! She always had a bible and a prayer book next to her and prayed for all her kids and grandkids.
- I am thankful that she always tried to witness and point people to Christ!
- I am thankful for all the big hugs she gave me!!! She was a great hugger! We will miss that!
- I am thankful for all the fun shopping sprees we used to do together! She knew how to shop. :-) Sometimes she did not know how to stop! But it was always fun!
- I am thankful that she had Passion in her life! If she was exited about something she went all the way ..... no holding back! I loved that on her!
- She would not hold your vision down but would let you dream! I think she was a dreamer too!
- I am thankful Oma Jule and Opa in Heaven held their vows for 50 years.... even when they hit a ruff spot in their marriage. Not everybody tries to stick it out any longer!
- I am thankful that she passed some of her gifts on to my husband, like the hobby of photography.
- I am thankful that they were able to make their peace at last in April! God is good!!!!
Well its amazing how many things you can think of when you just get started. :-) Mom, we loved you very much even when it was at times not easy! You will be missed and we are glad we will see you again in heaven! :-) Hope you are celebrating with Dad and Jesus!!!! You finished the race! Well done!!!!
Dagmar
What a nice post. We'll keep you all in our prayers.
ReplyDelete