I have been thinking, and pondering what it is that makes us sometimes so critical of one another as human beings. Why is it that we have this urgent need to put people into boxes, evaluate them and judge them. People are not like goods we deal with on an ongoing basis in our work world. Humans should be handled with the goal of connecting, its about relationships, right? This is what makes us human and stand apart, its not just thinking and using our minds. Its the way we use our minds, for the better good I hope.
One of the things which still trip me off as a new immigrant to the US ( yes I am here for 14 years but that is still new I think) in my christian subculture is language. You know its one thing to use language at work, its a whole other thing to learn Christianese (as in Christian jargon). This has made me think about what language was supposed to do for us as humans. It was supposed to negotiate our relationships with one another more effectively and with our creator as well. Now after Babel, all this got a bit more complicated....:-)
As humans like to do, we put another layer of complication on top of the language confusion of Babel. Now we not only have different languages, we also frequently create Jargons, Dialects and Slang. So I asked my self, why do we do this? And we all do it. (Insider Jokes, Teen languages, Family specific little sayings etc... )
We achieve I think two things with it, closeness inside a specific group, and making sure we are being recognized as a group from the outside plus, it gives us the feeling of belonging etc. Sometimes it even can make us feel better than others and so on. I guess this is not new to any one who ever took a sociology class. :-)
When I stumble on one of those language pitfalls it makes me again aware of the fact that I do not fit in, that I am a foreigner and outsider. But I am kind of glad about this, since it makes me understand how some of my friends who do not go to church and who are not even remotely interested in church might feel stumbling over the same language barriers.
So I am calling all Christians to open their hearts and minds to listen to themselves talk and to ask themselves why they use the language they use. I know why I use the language I use..... I just talk like the people around me.... sometimes its Oxford English (learned that in school) sometimes Jargon and sometimes Slang.
Anything else is way to time consuming and way to complex for this simple german girl. :-) The jewish carpenter I am following just smiled at me when I asked him about the whole language thing. If I recall correctly, he used as carpenter also some choice words at times. :-)
Love this one! So interesting and so true! Something to think about.
ReplyDelete